Addition Of Reverse Feed Screw Gearing

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
When I first purchased my new to me Grizzly lathe (14 years old) I settled because of price and condition. It doesn't have a power crossfeed and no reverse for the feed screw.
I took care of the feed screw reverse gearing this past week, finishing today.

The parts, existing and fabricated/machined. The gears are obviously from my change gears, the banjo is also an obvious lathe part. The brass bearing and 'T-bolt as well as the reverse gear adapter (aluminum piece) were machined by myself. Kinda rough, yes, we'll just get that out of the way first off. Do they fit the need and work as designed, yes. Yea I did need to adjust the adapter, yours truly did not allow enough room on the right/bottom of the adapter for the bolt to be inserted. Ugh! But I was able to mill it out to work.

SANY0076.JPG

The reverse gear adapter mounted to the banjo. There is only a 1/4" engagement on the threads but it fits the design min. requirements for "normal" thread engagement I've used in my design work for 44 years.

SANY0077.JPG

T-bolt, bearing and gearing in place.

SANY0078.JPG

The banjo and feed screw drive gear back in place in the forward drive position.

SANY0079.JPG

The banjo and gearing in reverse position.

SANY0080.JPG
SANY0081.JPG

One more project completed, now I'll be able to cut the left-hand threads and, if a need should arise, feed left to right. Oh! Yes, it does work as designed and feeds as it was intended to.

Next project, a fixture plate for the mill.

SANY0076.JPG SANY0077.JPG SANY0078.JPG SANY0079.JPG SANY0080.JPG SANY0081.JPG

Back