AEG TB13P drill press

Zepticon

Registered
Registered
So i picked up my first "real" machine tool today. A vintage AEG drill press.
My initial research suggest its made in the 1980s, and weigh about 80kg.

It popped up in the norwegian version of craigslist and i got it for a crazy $30.
Not knowing anything about it other than it being "old and german" i had to have it.

After getting it home and somewhat clean, i think i made a very very good deal. If they put a Röhm Spiro chuck on it, i guess everything is pretty well made.
My plan is to clean it, change bearings and get a VFD and have it run on single phase. Any suggestions or tips here?

Here are some pictures from the add, and my initial disassembly and cleaning.
656_1708841357.jpg

656_986748316.jpg

656_1965289592.jpg

656_1756382333.jpg

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

Im curious if anyone have any suggestions on how to take the chuck and axle assembly apart?
There are in total 4 bearings on the machine, all hold in place with c-clips and probably also a press fit.
I have never had a machine like this apart and i dont want to break it :D

Red: Bearings
Dark gray: Chuck axle
Black: Sliding key for the motor pulley to chuck axle connection.
277532486_494489002469831_299473558040169812_n.png

Maybe apposing wedges, unless it's a threaded spindle? Nice score for sure :encourage:

I managed to get it a part using a small wedges. And then it was pretty easy to disassemble the rest of the bearing shafts and bearings. There was some scoring damage and some pitting from rust on the main shaft, but i dont think it is enough to be an issue. I cleaned it up using a fine sandpaper.

The chuck itself Just wont come a part. I managed to take it somewhat in pieces tho, getting to the bearings and inner screw. But i cant get it apart at the threads in the middle. I tried everything i had in the workshop that could hold it without creating marks, but it just is not strong enough.
The only thing i cant get to now are the sliding jaws, but i think i will be able to clean them up to a decent standard using some caustic soda and then a vinegar bath. So far after the first round they are noticable smoother.

Last, what type of lubrication do you recommend to use on the parts when i put them back? I will get some sealed bearings so i wont have to oil them or grease them anytime soon. Then for the sliding parts my alternatives in the workshop are WD40, engine oil, Automotive grease, copper grease, aluminum grease, and lastly a "mining" spec grease with molybdenum.

I will get some pictures of the lot before i assemble it, and during assembly. Today i just got in the sone and forgot all about pictures xD

Back