Ahhh another tool saved from the scrap bin

mranum

Registered
Registered
I found this protractor head in a box of hand planes and spokeshaves I picked up at an auction super cheap a while back. She was almost impossible to use the way it was and I finally got tired of looking at and had a use for it coming up so thought I would give a shot at trying to resurrect this piece from tool hell.

Made by Bates Mfg, not sure of the vintage but it sure aint new. The locking screws had been molested with pliers so I had to pretty much file off all the knurling that was left on there. Only thing I didn't take apart was the level, afraid I may break it. Everything else was disassembled and soaked in some Evapo-rust for a few hours then hit with a brass brush. After that came some wet sanding up through 1200 grit. I would have liked to gone more but I'm right at the edge of graduations now on the angle gauge and the scale.

Probably worth my investment of a couple bucks now anyway.

protractor before3.jpg protractor after1.jpg protractor after2.jpg protractor after3.jpg protractor before1.jpg protractor before2.jpg

Nice! Looks like a beautiful tool now! Or are you just a great photographer? Hah

Bernie

Bernie-

As my dear departed Dad used to say..."paint can hide a multitude of sins" So lets just say, cell phone camera and poor lighting. :drink2:

Charley-

Evapo-rust works awesome! Best part is it never goes bad, when your done just pour it back in the jug. If it starts to evaporate just add more water back to it. Just don't soak the tools for a long long time as they can develop a gray color thats tough to get rid of. Just soak a few hours and brush with a brass brush and put back in the solution if it needs it. Just keep an eye on it. If its something you don't care about what it looks like, just want the rust gone then by all means soak it overnight.

Nice job on the protractor looks almost new, I picked some Evapo-rust last wek haven't used it yet.

Paul

reminds me, I left a batch of tools sitting in evaporust over a week ago and forgot to pull them out. I guess tomorrow I'll find out what overexposure to evaporust looks like.

Nice save, that came out great! Good job!

:drink:

reminds me, I left a batch of tools sitting in evaporust over a week ago and forgot to pull them out. I guess tomorrow I'll find out what overexposure to evaporust looks like.

I think you will find them to be black now. Good luck.

Back