Almost ready to cut

Basically I leveled to my skill and ability..lol No machinist level, no adjustable legs so from here I would need to shim the lathe.
So I am going to do some test cuts before going any further on leveling.
Best of luck making your cuts, let me know how it goes and share the pointers you pick up, I am sure I need them.

Thanks,

do you have a machinist level, I believe it is a must have though I have seen overly complicated rigged up equipment to do the same.

Yes, I believe a machinist level is needed... You wont believe the difference useing it.

They say 12" ...I purchased 8" , figured it's better than a builder level. I've only owed it for 2 weeks now, haven't found any other use yet. If we hang anymore pictures....tell ya what....I'm gonna level the hell out of that thing!

Let me tell you why it took me 3 hours to hang my new picture...lol you have too much time on your hands..:grin big:

I was just wondering if I get the Starrett 4" vs a 6" model it may be more useful on the small stuff I intend to turn?

I think the longer a level is, it may fall a bit more forgiving. I guess the laws of average...I think if you drop to a lesser brand name, it would be a bunch more affordable. I could be wrong, but I think this will be your biggest use for it...though it is an important purpose.

You will probably not use it much except to level the lathe, although you use it more than just once. Your lathe will get off level after a bit so you need to level it more than once. Remember you will need to check its level often if you want it accurate. The longer the level the better but problem is if its to long you wont be able to fit it where you need to sometimes. So I would get one that will fit going across the ways in all directions. I know it seems like it wouldn't be much difference than using a normal level but it will be a big difference and on a lather you are dealing with .001 of an inch or better so if you want accuracy the lathe needs to be leveled as close as you can get it. If you put that machinist level on the ways after you level with a regular level im sure you will see how much it is actually off. You can get one of the cheaper machinists levels and it will still be a big difference from a carpenters level. I ended up buying 2 machinist levels, one cheaper one that is more sensitive and a starrett than isn't quite as sensitive. Found if I use the starrett first it makes it easier to fine tune with the more sensitive one after.

I started with a carpenters level, then put a machinist level on it. The machinist level was pegged to one side. It's a much bigger difference than I expected.

Keep in mind that you are more interested in twist between the sides of the ways, not so much along the long axis. That's nice to have, keeps things from rolling around. But it's twist that will throw off the cuts.

I need to check mine again after I get done installing the DRO. Lots of moving things around and leaning on the bench and the machine. I don't expect it to be off by a ton, but a couple thous can be a problem if you are trying to hit tight tolerances.

Back