Aloris AXA or similar tool post Wanted

I put an AXA on mine. I like it a lot. I don't have any experience with KDK or the price/availability of tool holders.

I’ve never used KDK post or holders.
I have AXA 250-100 tool post on my SB9.
Very pleased with it.
I have the AXA#1 oversized toolholders so I can use any bits or tools up to 5/8”.

I have a Phase II on my 10" Seneca Falls machine. You can buy either a stand alone post or a set with multiple tool holders. A few years later I bought a number of additional tool holders from Shars

It has always been a mystery to me as to why sellers of QCTP kits never seem to take advantage of or even mention the fact that if you don't have at least several 101's or 102's, you are not much better off than having only a Lantern style tool holder. I currently have about a dozen of them, most with various types of cutters mounted and zeroed in them.

I’m restoring a sb 9 that didn’t have anything on the compound.

It has always been a mystery to me as to why sellers of QCTP kits never seem to take advantage of or even mention the fact that if you don't have at least several 101's or 102's, you are not much better off than having only a Lantern style tool holder. I currently have about a dozen of them, most with various types of cutters mounted and zeroed in them.

I might a bit excessive, but I’m north of 85......

It's nice to have your go to lathe tools already mounted on height.
Nothing wrong with Shars tool holders IMHO

Seth,

You are correct, of course (and incidentally, I took the liberty of adding the word "Wanted" to your thread title, to make it clear that you want one and are not trying to sell one). However, so long as the posts continue to be related to the QCTP and more specifically the AXA size, I don't think that it is interfering with your quest for an AXA tool post and/or holders, as anyone who came here and had an good quality AXA tool post and/or tool holders to sell would naturally chime in. Because your initial post subject is always what shows up in a list of threads. And not the most recent post. Plus what I have to say in my third paragraph below you need to know.

Of the Chinese-made QCTP's, I would guess that the Shars ones are either the best or at least one of the best. If I were starting out today and just could not afford what even a good used Aloris or Dorian QCTP costs, and could not find a good used Yuasa, I would probably go for the Shars.

The 116 Tool Holder (or n16 to be more general) is a holder for two triangular carbide or HSS inserts and in one holder you can do either turning or facing. Unfortunately, unless they have modified it since I saw one advertised a few years ago, in this one case I would not buy the Shars one even dirt cheap. But would look for a used Yuasa in good condition or a new or used Aloris or Dorian. The reason is that in the latter three, the triangular inserts are mounted with the cutting face perpendicular to the surface that you are cutting. So one is parallel to the lathe axis and the other is perpendicular to it. Unfortunately, the one from Shars has the insert rotated 30 degrees to that and it will not cut to a shoulder. So that one will have to be, AFAIK, Yuasa, Aloris or Dorian.

Back