Am I discarding my cutting discs too quickly?

I'm not sure if we are aloud to post a link but search for ....

100 Pack 6"x.045"x7/8" Cut off Wheel - Metal & Stainless Steel Cutting Discs $99.00

I save all the worn out ones and use them on a pneumatic cut-off tool. Way cheaper than the 'proper' ones,(when I can find them).

I'm pretty much a tightwad when it comes to sanding disks. I buy the 7" sanding disks and run them with a rubber backing pad. When they wear down I made a 4 1/2" gasket style punch with a 5/8" pilot and cut them down for my small harbor freight grinder.

I worked at a weld shop. We used the 6" wheels. I bought a bigger guard off E-bay for my grinder
and that's all I've used since. I use over 100 wheels a year and I use them until they don't reach the
work then I give them to my friend for his 4" grinder. Wheels cost under $1 each when buying 100
at a time on E-bay...

I thought this was a no no because the 6” disc spins at a much slower max rpm. So taking this 7000 rpm disc and plopping in on a 4.5 grinder than spins and 13000 rpm could create safety issues. Thoughts?

I just looked that up... I never give though about it... This is what I googled and found.

4-1/2" grinder 8000 rpm
6" grinder No Load Speed 9000 RPM .

6" cut off wheel. 10,200 rpm
4" cut off wheel. 13,300

Looks like I'm OK....

I just looked that up... I never give though about it... This is what I googled and found.

4-1/2" grinder 8000 rpm
6" grinder No Load Speed 9000 RPM .

6" cut off wheel. 10,200 rpm
4" cut off wheel. 13,300

Looks like I'm OK....

Most 4.5” grinders run at about 11,000 rpm. 7” grinder will run at 6,000 rpm. So taking a disc that is made to run on a 6,000 rpm tool, then put it on a 11,000 tool can cause problems. Just cause the 7” disc now fits on a 4.5” grinder doesn’t make it right from a safety standpoint. But everyone should choose to so as they see fit.

Last edited:
Back