ANGLING PLATE ACCURACCRACY OF ANGLE PLATE

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
First use of angling angle plate so found 2 of the 3 "T" slots would not accept 0.5000" bolts which has led to a general check-out. After tramming in one machined face I found the distance to the operators side of the first groove from the machined face varied by 0.022" using a dial caliper. The plate is 7" X 10" so being sure the 2 machined faces are parallel will be the next check. It is cast iron and rotates very smoothly.
I am going to try to get to get the groves parallel to one of the machined side faces and as close to 0.05000" as possible. Obviously the angle plate will have to be mounted on the mill table with 0" run-out to get this done. Any helpful suggestions on getting this angle plate trued up will be appreciated.
Have a good day
Rock breaker

It is cast iron and rotates very smoothly.

@rock_breaker If this is an angle plate then I do not understand the above comment. Perhaps we understand differently what an angle plate is? As mmcmdl suggests, a picture would clear thing up, and then we can help.

ah. 'angling plate' = "adjustable angle plate". got it. thanks @ddickey

I have a worm gear drive adjustable milling table that you adjust for parallelism. Stephan (above) does a great job on his plate, getting it to super precision. He is soooo skilled...

An interesting and informative video. As always. from Stefan.

I had a question, though and it may be answered in part 2. The first is that it is essential that the centerline of the pivot bore is parallel to the bottom of the base and parallel/perpendicular to the sides. It may be that Stefan blueprinted the angle plate (as indicated by the notations on the castings) and there was no issue or perhaps he will rebore the pivot bore and install larger pivot bolts.

It appears that Stefan has set up the base on a pair of parallels to machine the various surfaces on top and sides of the base. The next operation was to check the bottom of tha base for flatness and scrape to flat which alters the previously referenced geometry of the base bottom, which may in turn affect the relationship of the bottom of the base to the pivot bore and the previously machined surfaces.

Looking forward to part 2.

Thanks @Dabbler, after watching the video at least 2 things are obvious; 1st is better terminology and 2nd the blog should be in the Beginners Forum. If the moderators care to move it they have my blessing!
With reference to the video I have started in the middle of the project, No scraping tools or experience but with some straight edges I will restart with the base. This is not a NASA project but the convenience of the grooves being parallel with the face of the base is worthwhile to me.
As for pictures, I'm still missing a link in the process.
Have a good day
Rock Breaker

Last edited:
Back