Angling turret on Bridgeport to machine on table ends?

Ko6150

Registered
Registered
I have a bit of a noob question here. I am getting ready to machine a piece of flat bar. 3/4" x 5" x about 50" I need to machine 5 precise rectangular holes in it. So my game plan was to machine the 3 in the middle like normal with the turret centered. But my question is about the ends. I have a 48" table and wanted to machine it all without moving and resetting the part. So I was considering just rotating the turret toward the ends of the table to machine the outer holes. I was wondering though :
-Am I going to impart excessive slop from the gibs trying to machine this way or is this common practice that I have not seen yet?
-Should I just move the part over the table a few times to get it all?
Attached is a paper outline of what I am trying to make.
Thanks for any info or opinions.

20230218_111038.jpg

Last edited:
Mount it on the table with slot blocks and you can swing the head to reach your ends . If neccesary , put in a tooling hole to pick up or pick up an existing pocket .

I have a bit of a noob question here. I am getting ready to machine a piece of flat bar. 3/4" x 5" x about 50" I need to machine 5 precise rectangular holes in it. So my game plan was to machine the 3 in the middle like normal with the turret centered. But my question is about the ends. I have a 48" table and wanted to machine it all without moving and resetting the part. So I was considering just rotating the turret toward the ends of the table to machine the outer holes. I was wondering though :
-Am I going to impart excessive slop from the gibs trying to machine this way or is this common practice that I have not seen yet?
-Should I just move the part over the table a few times to get it all?

Thanks for any info or opinions.
Hi, when I need to do what you are going to do I clamp down a length of CR 1" x 3" x 60" stock to the table as a guide and slide the work along it clamping as needed to insure accurate holes in the work. I do not move the table at all. Carefully securing the work is key. Hope this helps some, it works well for me.

I swing the ram over to reach the ends of the table or to get around the knee often. A fence to slide the part along works very well also, especially for multiple parts.

I assume you are going to indicate on a previously drilled hole after you swing the turret to re-establish your coordinate system. What you propose, in my opinion, is the hard way. I have stops that fit in my table slots. By keeping one side of the work against the stops I can slide the work on the table without losing Y position. It is easier to slide the work on the table than to swing the turret and move the ram out.

Back