Another 10-30 in use.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Toward the end of last year, I was able to order a PM 10-22 lathe. It turns out to have been the last machine ordered before they sent an order to the factory. When the shipment came they parceled out the orders and the 10-22's ran out before my name came up. I was thrilled when they substituted a 10-30 for my 10-22 at no cost to me.
It arrived in mid February. Between a front end loader, a four wheel cart and a chain fall I got it installed in my 'shop." I ordered a low cost DRO from China, and spent most of a month getting it installed. The AXA tool holders that came, including knurling tool, cut off tool and boring bar holder. This left two usable tool holders. I wondered what I could make some out of. Looking o0n line for steel I found costs approaching finished products for bar stock.
Then I happened to remember some bar stock I had salvaged from my previous employer. 1.125 ground and polished ETD150. (I've recently realized/found out that this is 4140 heat treated.) I had a couple of pieces about a foot long, got it cut into eight 2 7/8" pieces. Over the last few weeks, I've carved on them in my PM25 mill. Whittling, more than carving, no big chips on tha mill. I finished the first dovetail today, It works like a charm. I made them in three sizes, 3/8, 5/16 and 9/32. (I don't have a good 1/4" carbide end mill.) I figured if I needed more 3/8, I could use any of the smaller ones. I took a picture of it in use, but the camera focused on the tool holder rack on the backsplash.

Last edited:
I want to see the tool holder in the back! I just 3D printed a bunch of tool holder holders (is that right?!) and after seeing how you did yours I might have to redo my design. Looks like they are made out of some nice wood.

Congrats on the new lathe, Tom! Can't wait to see what you do with her.

Looks like they are made out of some nice wood.

I have a goodly supply of quality mahogany. I use it whenever I can. They were inspired by one I saw last where here, where they'd used 1/4" aluminum.

Back