Another band saw speed reduction thread

Uncle Buck

Registered
Registered
Sorry, I know the topic has been raised before and yes I have read the prior threads. My question for you guys now is a bit different and not as straight forward so here goes. I want to reduce the FPM blade speed on a 14 Craftsman wood cutting band saw. To that end I first sought out and found a 30 to 1 speed reducer which is rather large, but will surely be stout enough to get the job done. Fast forward several weeks and lo and behold I acquired another speed reducer, this one is much more compact but looks to be built heavy enough to get the job done. However, I fear it will just be way way to slow at 60-1 which if my understanding is correct is about twice the reduction I will need to be at optimum FPM blade speed. So my question is am I correct that the 60-1 will just be far to slow to use and I should just stick with the 30-1 reducer?

My calculations (always suspect) say that 28.75 rpm (1725/60) of a 14" wheel gives 105 fpm. If that is correct and you WANT about 100 fpm, then the 60:1 run 1:1 in and out would be perfect. Can't get any simpler than a direct drive!

By the way, 100 fpm is a good, if somewhat slow, speed to use when cutting steel. Especially if you are going to be using only one speed for all material. But that's another thread!

Bill

My calculations (always suspect) say that 28.75 rpm (1725/60) of a 14" wheel gives 105 fpm. If that is correct and you WANT about 100 fpm, then the 60:1 run 1:1 in and out would be perfect. Can't get any simpler than a direct drive!

By the way, 100 fpm is a good, if somewhat slow, speed to use when cutting steel. Especially if you are going to be using only one speed for all material. But that's another thread!

Bill

Agreed, better slow than too fast. Yes, ideally I would rather have a speed on the slow side and not even mess with changing speeds with material. I do not anticipate using the saw on wood much if ever again after I have converted it.

Out of curiosity, whats the best speed to cut steel. My HF band saw has 3 speeds indicated, 80-120-200 and I usually have it on the meddle one (120)

Back