Another Bridgeport assessment, would like opinions please.

St. Paul Steam

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
hello fellow machinists, I'm looking to buy a new (or newer) vertical mill & lathe, I found this Bridgeport near Chicago area, its a machine re;saler & they're asking $3995, can I get your opinions please, too much ? no tooling included. 1970 model, one man shop, looks pretty decent.
thanks, Bruce
<iframe width="360" height="422" src="
" title="Bridgeport Variable Speed Milling Machine 1-1/2 HP 9&quot; x 36&quot; Table" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I realize there is a better thread to post this in (now), but I can't seem to figure out how to remove this thread to repost in a more appropriate area.

Would have to see it in person to check screws and ways. Small table, no DRO. I, myself, prefer the step pulley type for simplicity. IMHO, for Chicago area, the price is about $1k to high if it checks out.

Would have to see it in person to check screws and ways. Small table, no DRO. I, myself, prefer the step pulley type for simplicity. IMHO, for Chicago area, the price is about $1k to high if it checks out.
I actually prefer the smaller table, don't have room for to much larger. I wondered about the step pulleys...the variable speed initially attracted me. I have seen many mills with Dro's & power axis feeds. I am pretty much in the industrial machine mecca from Illinois, Indian, Michigan & Ohio if I'm willing to drive a few hours in any direction (which I am) thanks for the feedback.
Bruce

Last edited:
The basic machine looks solid, and the head sounds good, but I still think it's on the high side for not having a DRO, power feed or vise. The folks at Lost Creek are good to deal with, so that's a plus.

Thanks, I talked to Jason for quite awhile & he was very helpful, got a good feeling about him.

Back