Another hit-miss

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So.. my good friend Ray Dean had been working on a method to make a crankshaft with included ball bearings. He made the one pictured below with 1 1/2 inch throw. After thinking about it, he decided he really wanted a 2 inch throw for his next project which meant this crankshaft was "surplus". One day, I mentioned to him that I would be interested in building a hit-miss from it. Being the good friend that he is, he handed it to me complete with the connecting rod. That was a couple of months ago. I am happy to report that the project is finished and it runs pretty good.

I really didn't draw anything up. I used David Kerzel's design and some of the engines Ray has built for my inspiration. It has a bore of 1 1/8 inch and a stroke of 1 1/2 inch. I am using a standard O-ring to seal the piston.

With the all ball bearing design, I find that it sounds really tight. I was able to get it down to about 650 rpm by changing out the springs on the governor.
20220608_155736.jpgIMG_0699.JPG

Last edited:
You did a great job Chris
It runs very well.
Ray

So.. my good friend Ray Dean had been working on a method to make a crankshaft with included ball bearings. He made the one pictured below with 1 1/2 inch throw. After thinking about it, he decided he really wanted a 2 inch throw for his next project which meant this crankshaft was "surplus". One day, I mentioned to him that I would be interested in building a hit-miss from it. Being the good friend that he is, he handed it to me complete with the connecting rod. That was a couple of months ago. I am happy to report that the project is finished and it runs pretty good.

I really didn't draw anything up. I used David Kerzel's design and some of the engines Ray has built for my inspiration. It has a bore of 1 1/8 inch and a stroke of 1 1/2 inch. I am using a standard O-ring to seal the piston.

With the all ball bearing design, I find that it sounds really tight. I was able to get it down to about 650 rpm by changing out the springs on the governor.
View attachment 409523View attachment 409522

Great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back