Another "How Wonderful McMaster-Carr Is" thread

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I usually compile an order of things I want, but don't place the order until I need something quickly or when I think the total volume is worthwhile. Yesterday I had to travel about 50 miles south to take care of some business. When all was completed, I decided to place my order because I could pick it up on my way back. The order was only 6 small items and less than $100. I stopped along the way for some dinner (that was my main mistake). I was thinking that Will-Call was open 'till 7:30 PM. As I was poking along in LA freeway traffic, along with about a million of my closest friends, I noticed the clock on the GPS was indicating 6:58 PM arrival time. I was getting close, but still on the freeway and the traffic was a B****. I decided to telephone McMaster to verify the Will-Call hours.

Nope!

Will-Call closes at 7:00 PM.

I told the lady what my situation was and she offered to contact the WC area and see if they would accommodate me a few minutes late. I was pleasantly surprised (shocked?) by her offer. I don't remember ever experiencing that particular type of customer service. On the contrary, I have experienced (elsewhere and too often) doors locked before posted closing time and a sort of NFW attitude near closing time.

A few minutes later a man called me back and told me to knock on the WC door and someone would be there to help me. I knocked on the door at 7:05 PM. A young lady with a pleasing countenance and beaming smile responded to let me in.

OMG!

A gal on the telephone order line even being aware of the option to contact the WC area was surprising to me. And, then it actually happened. Wow!

Businesses like that are few and far between.

Last I experienced that from a company, I used them exclusively for the wares they offered until I left the area. Owner even gave a good (read: Heavy!) discount on my last purchase as a goodwill gesture for being a long-term customer.

The place closed less than three months later as the owner retired due to health concerns.

LOL . . . 40 or 50 years ago (in my dreams). :laughing:

Back