Another Project

Model Maker

Registered
Registered
Ever since I got the new motor mounted and wired on the lathe I have been making parts for my latest project, a Mill Steam Engine, due to a screw up on my part I read the print wrong (Senior Moment, don't worry if you live long enough you will get them too) and made two of the first part, the print said 2X Size and I thought it said make two, so I am making two engines and I will try to sell one after I am finished. I have made all of the easy parts first but I have a lot more to make. I will post photos as I go along.

Model Maker

That's looking great so far MM. Far better to misread and make an extra part than misreading and killing off the firsit one!! And now you will have two nice engines to show for it. Can I ask which plans you are using? Is there a picture of what the finished will look like ? Keep up the nice work!!

Bill

I guess that I should show what I am attempting to make, its a Hasbrouck #3. A horizontal Mill Engine of a decent size, I think. If and when I finish it my next project will be a boiler to operate it, I know, ever since the boiler in the harmonica factory in Toledo blew up in 1906 everyone is deathly afraid of steam but I will build one one and operate this engine on steam. Gasoline is just as dangerous and just about everybody plays with it on a daily basis. Hell I even still play with fireworks.

MM

looks great so far. I hope you keep us posted as you progress. I am thinking about ordering a set of plans for my next project(Could be months down the road) Glad you put that link up there. Anyone else have a good source for plans?

I finished the connecting rods today, a rather simple turning job, a 10-32 thread on one end, a 2 degree taper in two directions and finishing up with a yolk on the other end.

You are making some fine progress there MM. Looking forward to more.

Bill

I finished this project yesterday and I promised you all a photo or two.

IMG_0882.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice MM...love the base too. Thanks for sharing the finished pics.

Bill

The small steam engine has now taken its place on the display rack along with most of my other models. ;D

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Now to decide what to start on next.

MM

Bookcase 1.JPG Right Case.JPG

Here is the other half of the Steam Engine Twins, I decided to make two of everything. They turned out very nice and they both run very smooth and slow. And they are both self starting. :D

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

M M

IMG_0898.JPG IMG_0900.JPG

Back