Another "what Is It?" Thread.....

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi Gang,

I bought an item at my local used tool place on the weekend. I really saw it's use to me as a plate for use on the hydraulic press. It is basically a heavy steel disc with a hole thru the middle....about 7" on the OD, and nearly 2" thick. It would make a nice press plate. I got it for $10.

It was obvious that someone was using it for something higher-class. Thru the centre hole it had a collet and nut. The collet ID is 1.3" (33mm). The collet OD is 1.9" at the big end and 1.7" at the small end and is 2.2" tall.

My question: Is this a special item for something? Any thoughts on what it would be used for?

I'd hate to turn a diamond into coal by misuse.

Thanks!
-brino

Here's the pictures:

top.jpg
bottom.jpg

size.jpg

side.jpg

It looks like a flywheel, brino.

Tightening the nut would secure the flywheel to the shaft and loosening and a strategic tap would free it again.

Browning makes a bushing system for their various gears, pulley sheaves, etc. that is similar. They use a pair of bolts to seat the taper rather than the nut as on your piece. Their bushing has a second pair of threaded holes that can be used to jack the bushing and break it loose.

Bob

That's a nice hunk of steel, maybe a rotary table in the rough...

Definitely a fly wheel. Seen them used on mill spindles in my past. Also could be used on a horizontal milling arbor to help eliminate chatter problems they sometimes produce.

Back