Antique Jack

I thought you were referencing cars of the 60s and 70s.. not model Ts. Yea Model T's were lighter, no real extras in them. just wood, sheet metal and an engine and a mini tranny.

I figured you were thinking about more recent cars, but the jack the OP has is most likely pre-1925, or earlier.

Car in general are gaining weight, cars got smaller in the 80's and 90's but when you compare 60's or 70's cars with similar classed cars today, the new cars are generally heavier. They may have lighter materials and a ton of plastic but it take much more of those lighter materials to achieve the same result that old car achieved with steel.
I used to have a '62 Ford Falcon, that car weighted in at about 2300 lbs, it was about the same size or maybe even a bit bigger than my 2000 model Ford Taurus was over 3,400 lbs.
If that sounds bad, wait till we start seeing more full electric cars with massive battery packs and electric motors.
(The larger Tesla is over 5,300 lb and its not even as big as the current Ford Taurus which tops out at a half ton less.)
Unless someone comes up with a lighter power source, electric cars are likely going to get even heavier.

Back