anvil

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
I have a good solid timber block that I use for mainly wadpunching and bashing copper, but as I am working steel more it is not solid enough, nor durable enough when working hot....

IMG_00.jpg

...and up here in north Queensland 2nd hand anvils seem to be difficult to be had, so I decided to make one from some old 2" plate and flat bar I found.

IMG_01.jpg

1st I cut the 2" x 5" bar into 5 equal lengths and the anvil top from the 2" plate.

IMG_02.jpg

Then I set each piece of the bar perpendicular to the table and milled one end flat and square.

IMG_03.jpg

I tacked a piece to the bottom of the anvil top to thicken the horn....Yes I know my oxy cutting leaves a bit to be desired....I did think about photoshopping that one :D After roughing it out with the torch I welded and ground it to shape several times.

IMG_05.jpg

Drilling one of the base legs for the hardy hole and pritchel hole threw up some obstacles, and a few novel clamping arrangements were called for
IMG_06.jpg
IMG_07.jpg
IMG_08.jpg

I drilled a 3/4 pritchel hole and a 31/32 hardy hole that I filed out to 1" square.

IMG_09.jpg

After welding the 1st base leg, (closest to the horn) on 2 sides and across the rear, I added the 2nd leg, welded the same and so on. Then after multiple runs to stitch the legs vertically to each other and across the bottom of the feet I set the anvil pependicular and milled the bottom of the feet flat, before flipping it over and milling the anvil work surface flat.

IMG_10.jpg
IMG_13.jpg

A lick of paint and all that was required was a solid stand.

IMG_11.jpg

2 x 8 hardwood, dressed, glued and bolted together and it was all ready to run.

IMG_12.jpg
IMG_14.jpg

All up I reckon it cost me a packet of rods, some paint, and a bit of electricty. I'm guessing it comes in at about 250 lbs.
It does'nt have any ring, just more of a dull thunk, when you hit it, but in use it does have great rebound. It is so much easier moving metal now.

Cheers Phil

I think that looks great. Don't sweat it about your oxy/acet cutting. A piece that thick is a bear to cut for anyone, you did a fine job.

-Ron

author=Paddy OFernichur link=topic=1859.msg11947#msg11947 date=1303775791
....when you are prepared to upgrade on a face mill, I can help.....

Hi Paddy, Actually I worked that cutter pretty hard on this project. It needed a grind halfway through and again when I was finished.
I was a machinist a whiles back but have been out of the trade for a long time. Now semi retired and fullfilling my hobby instincts I have been sniffing around the auctions picking up what I can. That cutter and a box of Osborne collets and endmills came with the machine. I had never seen that type of face cutter before. Any slab milling I ever did was on a horizontal machine. What sort of cutters are available for vertical slab cutting that you allude to?

Cheers Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
One question that I have is "How do you find 2" thick steel laying around"? All of the metal I find is all small stuff and hard as hell to machine. Nice anvil by the way.
Paul

Nice anvil! Nice project for anyone. I trust you did not try to lift that by yourself?

I know this post is a little old, but not that much.....I like your work making your own anvil. Making a square hardy hole is a challenge for sure. You did a very nice job, sure beats one of those Chinese pieces of imitation cast iron anvils that are available.....nice job SIR.....

Back