Any body casting and copper coating there own bullets?

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
I've been messing around with a few. These are 308 150gr flat nose cast, plated sized and a light polish.
308.jpg

Paul

308.jpg

Not yet but been thinking about it. Nice looking bullets so far. Have you shot any cast bullets yet?

I too would be very interested to know your process , I've seen the guys that hang them individually by wires , but this seems very inefficient for more than a few bullets and leaves a bare spot , how do the manufacturers like Berry's do it to get a thick even complete coating ?:thinking:

Plating is an art. No matter what is written about it, every job is not exactly the same.

Barrel plating is the preferred method. Think of a tumbling barrel. This way you get full coating. As for the thickness, it is all down to time in the tank. One problem is that one will get spots where it thicker, usually on a sharp edge and corners.
Pierre

I saw a post on another forum that I use sometimes, Then I starting checking into doing this. I watch all the movies on you tube and used different things from each one.

A lot of time invested in doing it and getting to this point the most I've done at one tome was around thirty and it took about 1 1/2 hours to get them looking the way I want.

Out of the 30 only one was bad, I've gpt one more thing to try and then I post the set up and tell you how and what I using.

Paul

I was at the SHOT show in January. I ask Berry how they did it as they call them"COPPER WASHED"
The gentleman that I talked to either didnt know or didnt want to tell me. He
Referred me to their web site. I wasnt interested enough to look. He mentioned that it was a complicated process. I told him that I am an engineer and was interested in the process. Perhaps he thought I was going to steal the process.

Earl

Plating is something that has been around for a long long time. The sales person is not usually the one to talk to. He is the one that causes the most trouble for the production staff in any case.
Pierre

The 308 that is in the picture are cold plated, I also plated a 100 7.62X39 that way. Then I them in a rock tumbler for about 1 Hr.

I sized them and then resized them after plating, I did some 357 for a friend and missed sizing one I had to Noak it out of the sizer. Lesson learned there. More to come later this week I'm going to get the hot tank set up to see if its any better.

Paul

Last edited:
Back