Any use for the emery wheel for the Harbor Freight saw sharpener?

ericc

Active User
Registered
1665546472486.png

I received some advice from this forum to purchase this inexpensive set of wheels for the Harbor Freight circular saw sharpener. Of course, the forum recommended the diamond wheel, which is just great. I was trying to figure out how to use the emery wheel. It says "don't grind on the side". From the instructions, the wheel can be used on either the flat or the bevel. So, I could mount it backwards and just use the flat face for grinding? Is this safe? I guess that when the wheel gets too thin, it will just chip away safely. It does look like it needs a guard, however.

I was just pondering how to cut up some new HSS bits. Normally I’d use a cutoff blade on the angle grinder but I’m going get down the HF sharpener. I had 5 different saw blades that were dull and got that sharpener and after saving all those blades it’s just been sitting, doh! Thanks for the reminder I have that thing.

Hi C-Bag. This certainly sounds more civilized. The angle grinder can get a little fiddly with that cutting wheel. I did use one once to cut up a large parting tool into smaller parting tools. It did work. So, you plan to put a cutting disk on it? It seems that the emery wheel that comes with the kit is not suitable for cutting.

I use the flat side of the emery wheel for stoning any burrs that appear on my mill table and RT.

It seems that the emery wheel that comes with the kit is not suitable for cutting.
No it’s not. I never mounted the abrasive so I had to dig the machine out to see what we we’re talking about. Turns out the arbor size for the abrasive is 10mm and the diamond is 20mm. 10mm is real close to 3/8” and it turns out HF has 4” x1/16” 3/8” arbor cutoff wheels. Nobody has 20mm. So just like when I use a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder you have to flip the adapters around so it grabs the wheel flat or you dish the wheel and that’s no bueno, dangerous. So a pack of those cutoff wheels is hereby added to the tobuy list next time I’m in town. This looks like it’s going offer quite a rabbit hole/time sink of possibilities.

I have a lathe so I made my own assortment of adapters for the angle grinder to accommodate different wheel configurations. My angle grinder has a 5/8" arbor so everything has to have at least that hole diameter although if I were pressed, I could make a 5/8-11 thread-on adapter for any sized wheel.

Back