Anyone know about millpower controls?

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking at a mill on facebook marketplace and it has a mill power 2 axis control on it. I have a manual mill just like it with a e-head (vfd for speed control) Jim Dawson and I put together about 8 years ago as I recall.

I have been thinking about 2 options on this. First option is to get the mill and put my e-head on it (easiest ad quickest option) 2nd option is to get the mill, pull the ball screws out of it, put them in my existing mill and add the control. Then probably try and fix the head on the second machine and sell it. I should be able to get something out of it wit ha 3hp vari-speed head.

I have a Fadal 3016 and it's wonderful, but it would be really nice to have my manual mill be able to tilt and rotate the head with a cnc control even if it's just 2 axis. And not have to break down my vmc for every little job simple cnc job.

I can't really find out much about the control. I've googled it, youtubed it, and don't find one that looks the same as the one on the mill.

Anybody have one of these controls and can fill me in on it? Can it run a program, how to you load programs, is the control still supported by accu-rite ect?

I have a better idea. You have a perfectly good Shizuoka sitting here in my shop that is crazy accurate and stable. All you have to do is drag it home and plug it in. It's just taking up space in my shop. Has all the goodies on it except manual handles, but that's pretty easy to fix.

You can hang a BP style head on it pretty easy. Or just use the existing head. Recommend removing that stupid tool changer. While it works fine, it should have never been put on a knee mill.

It would take me about a day to throw a new computer in it. I have one sitting here on my desk.

I see the Comet in the ad needs varispeed bushings.

I have a better idea. You have a perfectly good Shizuoka sitting here in my shop that is crazy accurate and stable. All you have to do is drag it home and plug it in. It's just taking up space in my shop. Has all the goodies on it except manual handles, but that's pretty easy to fix.

You can hang a BP style head on it pretty easy. Or just use the existing head. Recommend removing that stupid tool changer. While it works fine, it should have never been put on a knee mill.

It would take me about a day to throw a new computer in it. I have one sitting here on my desk.

I see the Comet in the ad needs varispeed bushings.
Dang Jim, Why do you have to live 3000 miles away?!!

Back