Arbor Support Compatibility

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Background Arbor Supports are serialized to match the mill they were born with.

Question Will they interchange? Can they be used on a different mill?

Answer No. But, Maybe...

Rear Arbor Support 22L-1245 did not line up with the arbor bearing on my 24MLA. The bushing adjustment ring in the front of the support has been removed & the bushing pushed to the expanded position (the adjustment ring will not engage). It would take recutting the brass bushing to adapt it to your mill.

Stay tuned for trying to fit the Forward Arbor Support.

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_061910078.jpg
    IMG_20210421_061910078.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210421_062145949.jpg
    IMG_20210421_062145949.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
This forward support is 7487, from a 1952 22M. It also does not line up with the arbor bearing on my 24MLA. Not sure how this version could be realigned to match any other mill.

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_7487.jpg
    IMG_20210421_7487.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200317 01.jpg
    20200317 01.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
Brockwood,
I purchased arbor supports for the sole purpose of being able to make a wooden pattern and casting aluminum supports for my 22LU in a home foundry. However, while I will likely core the castings, I've thought that I might substitute shielded bearings instead of messing with oilers, sight glasses and bushings. Thoughts?

I really didn't have any reasonable hope they would actually fit center-center. They don't.
If yours don't fit. Perhaps mine would. If interested. Let me know your center-center distance.
Perhaps yours will fit mine and I wouldn't need to cast.
Let me know if you'd like to discuss this further.
Perhaps a PM and take this off line?

Daryl
MN

Hey Daryl!

This is an extra set that came in a lot I bought. I still have my originals! Let's post measurements of the center to center distances for all 3 sets so folks can get an idea of how much they can vary from machine to machine.

b

Test to measure arbor 'A' (outboard version) begins with sn 7487. My trusty Center Mike will be used for all comparisons.

22M 7487 = 9176 01.jpg

The result is 9.176.

22M 7487 = 9176 02.jpg

Next is my sn 1512. Right about now, is when it dawned on me to make the large hole equal on each arbor. sn 7487 was found to be 3.507 when checking center to center distance. Not wanting to start over, this is the diameter that was dialed into sn 1512.

24MLA 1512 - 3507.jpg

The result was 9.175.

24MLA 1512 = 9175 02.jpg

But, that means sn 7487 should fit?! With the big end loosened to 3.507, it does fit. That's 1512 in the background.

22M 7487 = 9176 03.jpg

Guess it's all in the approach at this point. Before, my approach was to loosen the center spreader bolt & slide the overarm in with the support solidly clamped to it. With that approach my stock 1512 mates up to the arbor - but 7487 didn't. I'll look at arbor 'B' measurements tomorrow.

Similarly, I'll use my Center Mike to measure both the A & B arbor supports. Which are here.

Daryl
MN

On to the B supports. again the large holes were adjusted to 3.507. I did not bother with the diameter of the brass bushing as regardless of size the center does not change.

The 22L 1245 = 9.172

22L 1245 B = 9172.jpg

My 1512 = 9.168

24 MLA 1512 B = 9168.jpg

Looking forward to Daryl's findings & really anyone else that wants to participate!

Your overarms are much better looking than the ones which I have. I cupped brushed these when I got them as I was leaving a paint flake trail every time I touched them.

Regardless, my VN22LU is still pushed into a corner after the move. Hoping to get started on her after the upcoming scraping class and the departure of the Millrite (part of the class project). It's nice that I now have the space for a tear down and rebuild! I'll try to pull her out enough so as to get measurements of the front of the 22LU.

Anyway I was able to extract the overarms from the bowels of the pile. Using the Center Mike and I obtained a measurement of the pilot arbor support (A arm). With the arm fixed to the ram so that the clamp pressure of the arm provided a more accurately sized OD I repeatedly measured 9.172". Note that this measurement includes the roller bearing which guides the pilot which was not removed for this assessment. From your pics it appears that you did the same. With similar results. I hadn't even looked at the specifics of your findings until I began writing this response.

I didn't see any serial number stamping but can look again.
Do you intend to measure the B support without a bushing? That would likely provide the most accurate measurement.

If I recall correctly the center-center distance on my ram spindle is about .250" different from these overarms.

Daryl
MN

Wow Daryl; a quarter inch is substantial. We might be discovering the reason that we believe they're all different & will not interchange. When I allowed the support to close in & grip the overarm, i could not engage the support with the arbor. It wouldn't fit. But when I dialed in a little preload the support mounted up just fine. Your accurately sized OD is a given of 3.5". My math says they will fit / interchange with the sets I have.

Tell me how you are measuring your center to center of the overarm & spindle. I'll do my best to duplicate that approach & report back.

Back