Assembly of ball and spring plungers

yellow_cad

Registered
Registered
Hoping to find someone with a clever way of reinstalling a shaft with a ball and spring plunger. The ball is appx. 1/16" ID, the shaft is a fairly close fit, and the shaft is going into a blind hole with spring and ball hole about 1/4" in on the side of the hole. I can't use a pilot, and I've tried grease and shim stock to no avail. It is a factory piece so they did it at the factory. Thanks for any ideas. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally, those balls are staked in place. If you could fashion a tool to peen the hole lightly to retain the ball, you should be good. Another thought is to use some temporary adhesive. Something that would dissolve with acetone or something along those lines.

Any other ideas?

Assuming you can't access the bore from 180° from the plunger? Sometimes the factory drills an access hole so they can install and stake the ball in.

maybe grind a tapered flat on the side of the shaft push in and turn
I need a way to draw and post?
can you open a dxf file?

steve

Attachments

• shaft.zip
    900 bytes · Views: 13
Is the hole for the rod a through hole? Can you use another piece on the backside to hold the ball and spring in place and use the real rod to push the temporary holder out?

Need picture or description of what we should be looking at!

Likely the factory placed the spring and ball either after the rod is in place and the hole is not really a blind hole. Cap or screw is covered over or from the opposite side. The hole did not get there by itself.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I did manage to trap the ball with a small piece that could exit out a slot further down the hole after I pushed the shaft through.

When I worked on Mercedes, I had to replace valve stem seals a lot on older models to get folks by until they could get the head reworked.
The seal kits came with a very thin plastic sleeve you would slide over the valve stem to protect the lip on the seal as it would cross the keeper groove.

Maybe you could use a piece of mylar or some other very thin plastic to hold the ball back while you put in the rod.

Drill in from the other side and plug the hole with a grub screw after loading ball and spring?

Pics??
pics are nice :)

Back