Atlas 7025 dog clamp?

wazzabie

Registered
Registered
I have this Atlas clamp labeled as a 7025 dog clamp on the box. It was included with a 6in Craftsman 101 lathe. How does this clamp attached to the lathe and what would be the purpose for it?

1687381812673.pngH

It's an adjustable dog for driving work on the lathe that is supported between centers. In other words, when it's not practical or helpful to grip work in the chuck. That happens to be a nice example of an adjustable type.

There are two types of lathe operators here, those that use dogs and those that don't. I happen to think that turning between centers is as "pure" as lathe work gets- two points of contact and a single cutter. People who say they don't use dogs simply haven't done work that requires them.

Making for truly concentric work at the expense of rigidity in lighter workpieces, chucking the work generally results in a more rigid setup. Everything in life and work has its tradeoffs. Does your lathe have a plate to drive the dog? One can sometimes use a chuck jaw instead if the dog has a long enough driving stud to reach it.

Making for truly concentric work at the expense of rigidity in lighter workpieces, chucking the work generally results in a more rigid setup. Everything in life and work has its tradeoffs. Does your lathe have a plate to drive the dog? One can sometimes use a chuck jaw instead if the dog has a long enough driving stud to reach it.
I have the faceplate for the lathe. Woud the clamp mount to this face plate?

1687412831126.png

Use a dead center in the spindle. The face plate slot will pick up the dowel from the clamp,thus driving the workpiece being held between two centers. For a better explanation pick up the book how to run a lathe by South Bend. It is on line or you can find the printed book cheap on Amazon. It is an old publication , but still useful with manual machining.

If I understand correctly the dog clamp would look something like this setup between to center points. This does not look safe. The work is mounted between two center points.

1687452209956.png

That is indeed one way to accomplish the goal if you do not have the dog plate which is shown above. As to safety, you do want to heep hands and shirtsleeves away from the dog when it is turning, it is no more unsafe that many other lathe operations if care is used.

Back