Atlas 7B Shaper New to me

Alberg30

Registered
Registered
Hello All, I just purchased an Atlas 7B Shaper with the cast legs. The machine is bolted to a cast iron table. The is an inscription on the table top "FOR FORD SHOPS.... So i, not exactly sure if that was the Ford motor company or not. The guy i bought it from told me it was in his barn for the last 45 years not being used. It was covered in sawdust and oil so there is not much rust on it. I have disassembled it for cleaning. I measured everything up and there is almost no wear on the machine. With the exception of the cross feed nut in the table. Got the original vise with it along with the two guards and original motor in believe. It has taken me a month to clean the machine and all of the parts. There were no parts missing or damaged/broken. Although the original switch is missing. Its a worth while project for sure, Im very happy with it. I have reasessembled the machine , It works like new. I dont plan on painting it. I like the vintage look of the machine.

Attachments

• Atlas 7B shaper Ford Shops.jpeg
    Atlas 7B shaper Ford Shops.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 136
  • Atlas 7B Shaper.jpeg
    Atlas 7B Shaper.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I might be way off.... I think (well... I know as well as you do...), the base is from a "combination machine". To my understanding, that had to do with melting, pouring, and boring babbitt bearings. The company that made that made a a genuine boatload of special tooling for the Ford motor company, and also made a business of supplying specialty tools (shop tools) to ford dealers. Lots of it is quite valuable today.

Yes, i was thinking that the base was originally used with another machine or something else. The base weighs about 200 lbs. I was told that the machine and table came from Montreal to Nova Scotia around 1970. Could have been used in some type of factory there.

Last edited:
I believe that was a dealer/repair shop tool, and not a manufacturing method.

Found it on Youtube..... I think. I believe (not an expert at all) that there was a different machine of the same description for model A Fords as well. I thought that machine had the pot and burner to melt the babbitt as well. Now I'm not sure, because if it did, this fella glossed right past it. Or maybe that part just didn't come with his? I dunno. Either way, there's two minutes of your life that you'll never get back.

Welcome to the shaper club.

Congrats on the shaper, nice history ! One recommendation is to mount a switch in the original position from a safety standpoint, I would hate messing with that low mounted switch when the s... hits the fan. Atlas had an option for mounting a standard electrical box up high for motor saver, but you could use a simple switch in the box. Here is what the Atlas adapter looks like.
DSC00749.JPG
DSC00400.JPG

Back