Atlas Craftsman 101.07300 Can I swap the headstock with a later model??

robert574

Registered
Registered
Just thinking, my 6" lathe 101.07300 has a 3/4" spindle. Does anyone know if I swapped out the headstock for a 618 (101.07301 or later) with a 1" spindle, would it fit and the rest of the gears, covers and other parts fit? Clearly the chuck threads are a problem. Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any help.

i can see challenges to the swap like headstock alignment and pitch, tailstock alignment and pitch
but- if you were so inclined, the challenges can be overcome- be ready for a project of great undertaking

If you haven't already done so, you might want to look at comparable lathes listed over at VintageMachinery.org - Craftsman Metal Lathes
Comparing photos of different models may give some insight into the issues you'd be likely to confront in doing the transplant.

For what it's worth: I note there's only one 101.07300 lathe like yours registered on VintageMachinery.org, but lots of later 101.07301 & 101.21400 6" lathes. Your model was apparently only marketed for one year (1938), while the later models were sold for decades. I don't know what the collector's market might be for a seemingly scarse example of the early model, but you might save yourself heartache in the long run by selling it unmolested and just buying a later model with the proceeds+the cash you'd have to invest in acquiring the newer headstock & whatever other parts you might need.

You could compare the part numbers on the 101-07301 to the part numbers on your lathe. If they are the same except for the headstock then the swap may be possible. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/17735.pdf

I personally would not alter a rare lathe like yours for the reasons in LF-WS's post.

Thanks. Does anyone have a copy of the parts list for the 101.07300?

I wonder how they lined up the spindle bore and the tail stock. Surely there was a fixture of some sort.

I might be wrong but I believe the alignment on the headstock comes from the precision machining of the bed and the headstock. The tailstock is typically adjustable. Lots of threads on the forum on aligning the tailstock.
The part numbers on your 101.07300 should be cast into or stamped on the parts. Might have to take some of the parts off to find the part numbers but they are going to be there.

I found some numbers. The end cover is the same number as the 101.07301, the lever that engages the gears is the same, but the top cover over the belts on the headstock on mine is a L9-22 and the one on the parts list is a L9-22A. The gear table plate inside the end cover looks almost brand new and is the same number. I also don't have a back gear. The whole lathe is blue. Is that the right color?

edit: I did a search for 101.07300 lathe and there are pictures of some different ones. They are the same blue as mine.

Last edited:
I think the most critical part number to look for would be the bed part number. If those numbers are the same then the later headstock should fit.

I did some searching online and came across a 101.07300 lathe bed for sale on Ebay. One of the pictures showed a part number of L9-1 https://www.ebay.com/itm/333333576708

Last edited:
I might be wrong but I believe the alignment on the headstock comes from the precision machining of the bed and the headstock. The tailstock is typically adjustable. Lots of threads on the forum on aligning the tailstock.
The part numbers on your 101.07300 should be cast into or stamped on the parts. Might have to take some of the parts off to find the part numbers but they are going to be there.
The headstock will require utmost care in alignment . A fraction of a decimal value will have consequences. You will cut tapers.
If the height of the tailstock doesn’t match the new headstock, you will turn nothin but tapers.

I think the most critical part number to look for would be the bed part number. If those numbers are the same then the later headstock should fit.

I did some searching online and came across a 101.07300 lathe bed for sale on Ebay. One of the pictures showed a part number of L9-1 https://www.ebay.com/itm/333333576708
Looking at the beds was a really good idea. It turns out that the 101.07300, 101.07301 and 101.21400 lathes all use the L9-1 bed casting. I also found pictures of a number of different beds all and of the ones above look to have the exact same machining for the headstock on the bed.

Back