Atlas M1-61 Arbor Support - Pictures Please

DAT510

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just pickup a cast reproduction of the M1-61 Arbor Support off eBay. It's a rough casting that needs to be finished machined.

It looks pretty nice. A slight bit of porosity, but that was disclosed in the ad.

Thanks to wa5cab having uploaded the drawing, I have the dimensions. I'd like to reproduce it as close to the original as I can. If someone has an original that they could share some pictures from multiple sides, it would be much appreciated.

I purchased one of his arbor support castings also. I have not machined it yet. I plan to take a light face cut on the boss that surrounds the slot, then reference that surface and bore the hole perpendicular. I plan to cut only the boss that goes against the arbor support. I don't see a need to do the surface that the bolt heads will be against.

The only mill I have is my Atlas. The Atlas's X-travel is just long enough to cut the boss if I remove the gear box and crank it by hand. I have made three blocks to use for mounting the casting to the table, but have not started to machine the casting yet.

Please post your work as you progress. I will do the same.

Here are some pictures of my original one. The middle 3 pictures are after painting. The first and last are before painting. You will need to play where's Waldo for the first one :) The "arbor support locks" are not original, the manual says the originals would have just been 3/8-16 x 1.25" hex cap screws. IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0771.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0775.JPGIMG_3486.JPG

I finished machining my casting. All the work was done on my Atlas itself. I was worried about the hard "skin" I've head about, but it was no problem at all. Other than making a big carbon mess, the cast iron machined very nicely.
IMG_2965.JPGIMG_3020.JPGIMG_3022.JPGIMG_3025.JPGIMG_3031.JPGIMG_3043.JPGIMG_3015.JPGIMG_3045.JPG

Last edited:
Hundred bucks (with shipping) is a bit steep for just the casting. Any particular reason to use cast iron, instead of going the Kouhoupt and making one out of steel bar?

I was about to make my own from steel when the casting appeared on ebay. I went with the casting because I liked that it was a copy of the original Atlas part and preserved the original look of the mill. I don't know if a single cast iron part is any better or worse than a steel assembly like Rudy did.

I suppose at this scale, it's moot. A casting might flex less than rolled/drawn steel, due to the grain structure. But the grains are elongated vertically, and the forces will likely be on the vertical axis ... *shrug*. Probably over-thinking it.

I am still planning to (some day) make one from steel. My Atlas is so beat-up and patched together, no-one will notice.

The fellow who had the castings sold out - he no longer has them listed on Ebay. The castings were some sort of school project with the proceeds going to support the educational program. I think it was a one-time thing - he is not in the business of making and selling castings. At least that is my understanding.

Back