Atlas Mill (MFA) cross slide wiper location

dockterj

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know where M1-117 (felt wiper) is supposed to be located? I expected an indentation of some sort on the bottom of the cross slide but it isn't apparent to me where this felt wiper goes.

Well, I have never had a chance to look at the actual part but always assumed from the drawing in MMB-5 that there was a rectangular pocket machined into the underside of the Cross Slide. I gather from what you wrote that that isn't the case???

I was expecting the same thing :) No pocket on mine. I did rewatch the youtube assembly video from ghostses ("Atlas MFC Milling Machine Assembly and Adjustments Part 3 of 4") around the 24:00 mark. It looks like on his, at least, the felt is glued to the cross slide.

Last edited:
I don’t think I was ever able to figure it out when I rebuilt my MF. I tried folding a piece of felt back on itself and kind of compressing it into the little gap but it didn’t take long to work its way out. Pretty sure I gave up at that point and it might have been when I switched to the leather “skirt” for lack of a better word to try to keep the chips from getting into the slides. Glue seems an odd way for them (Atlas) to do something like that but who knows.

-frank

And I am a bit surprised that no one else has apparently ever mentioned this.

I tried Frank's method as well and gave up on it. I think I'll use a bit of glue. I've looked at ebay pictures and don't see anything that clearly shows glue residue either.

Back