Atlas Quick change gear repair

iron man

Active User
Registered
100_0539.JPG

Here is the gear I made and repaired for my Atlas Quick change gear box I cut off what remained of the small gear and since these are steel I bored the large gear and pressed in the small gear I will then TIG weld it on the back side. If you notice the stock gear on the right side has a factory brass bushing in it which is 3/4 od. This causes the shell of the small gear to be to thin and the gear breaks at the root of the tooth indicated by the black line on the right gear. I did not want to repeat that mistake so I bored mine 5/8 this gives more beef to the root of the gear the new gear the one on the left has a new brass bushing and I am making a new shaft out of hard chrome shaft brass wears better on chrome. Ray

100_0539.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow nice job indeed. I just dropped $150 on 2 new gears from clausing for my quick change box. I would love to have been able to make them but the cost of the tooling I would have needed and the time made it easier to buy. Nice job.

DALE

If you know the pitch and tooth count you can usually buy browning gears off ebay and machine them to fit. Ray

Back