Axa Tool Holder On Bxa

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was in need of a cutoff tool holder today and realized that the BXA QCTP that came with my lathe did not have one. So I measured my old AXA holder and needed to cut .072 more on the dovetail to fit the BXA.
This is some pretty hard steel:eek:. It took a long time using my shop made dovetail cutter with one carbide cutter and cutting .002 to .003 per cut--but it came out perfect. Looks pretty small on the BXA but it works:)
Sorry no pictures.
Anybody know what steel these are made of? (cheap import)

Import AXA holder? No clue, but I wanted to modify a name brand AXA holder and an endmill just wouldn't touch it. Had to resort to grinding.

.........snip........
Anybody know what steel these are made of? (cheap import)

Most of the Chinese holders are more than likely made from C20 steel. That is equivalent to our AISI 1020 steel. And case harden to around 45-50 HRC with a very shallow case depth. Not hard enough to be nitrided. I have a few that may be a C40Cr4Mo3, which is equivalent to our AISI 4140/42. Seem to be a little tougher steel. Again hardness around 45-50 HRC. This is nothing compared to a genuine Aloris holder that is heat treated in the 58-62 HRC range. And they are through harden! Ken

Back