Bandsaw Cutting Fluid

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just bought a horizontal metal saw that uses 93" blades. Ordered blades. Need to know about cutting fluids. I saw where someone used "windshield wiper" fluid as a cutting fluid.

Anyone have a comment on this? What do you all use?

Grinder

I use a wax stick lubricant instead of suds to avoid the mess. It works well in all materials I cut in the shop. DoAll, Castrol and others make them.

I cut 1018 and 12L14 dry unless the piece is large. Aluminum gets Kerosene or lamp oil, harder steels get sulfur cutting oil or Lard Oil. Sulfur cutting oil you can get at any hardware store, McMaster Carr has Lard Oil. For copper I use milk as cutting fluid, nice greasy whole milk.

michael

I've got some drained hydraulic oil from my lift table. I've found it does pretty good on steel for cutting and drilling. I hate to waste stuff even used oil.

I assume you have flood coolant on the bandsaw machine, if so, I would use it. I have tried dry and wet, much cleaner cutting with flood and it pulls the chips away from the blade. Your blade will also last longer from the flood cooling. Lots of options, I think most circulating cutting fluids would work well for most materials. I use Syn-kool from Rustlick, I also add some cutting oil (1 cup) and a small amount bleach (1/4 cup) to the water (kills any growth in the water). Been happy with the results, cut mostly aluminum (6061), steel (1018) and some stainless (various types). If you do not have flood coolant then the other options mentioned are more viable. Sometimes I use a small amount of Way oil applied to the blade.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-2057&PMPXNO=946817&PARTPG=INLMK32

Monroe Astr0-Saw. Enco probably still has it. I use it in a spray bottle as I seldom cut enough stock at one time to make the flood system worthwhile. It does not leave any oily residue to interfere with welding. It did, however, play hob with the chicom paint on my Grizzly saw. Rustoleum fixed that.

I use the wax sticks but my friend has an air line on his saw with a regulator. It cleans the teeth ahead of the guides. It seems to work pretty good.

UPDATE: I consulted with a retired machinist who worked in a shipyard doing government work. Now has his own shop. He recommended using TRIM C270/1g fluid.
It never goes rancid. Uses it in his large Monarch Lathe , Milling Machine, and band saw. Varies the concentration 6:1 in Lathe/Mill, 3:1 in saw.
I have been using it for several months, no problems with rust, ect. Never changes the fluid in the tank, adds more trim and water as needed.

Back