Bandsaw purchasing question

negativentropy

Registered
Registered
Im looking at buying a bandsaw - one of the products I sell requires cutting 6" round aluminum into 2" lengths. Will a Magnum or King 7 x 12 bandsaw handle that reasonably well or do I need to go a size up?

Thanks!

-- any 7X12 will cut it well. A quality saw will even cut it straight.

I opted for a used 7X14 Emmerson from the early 1970s. And just last month I bent it - by putting a 575 lb billet on it and things shifted. At least it will be an easy (if not long) repair. A cast machine would be broken and useless if I had the same incident with one.

I have the Grizzly G0613 7x8.25 and couldn't be happier. It took me a while to find a good blade for them but it has cut through miles of steel.

I go to my local shop to get blades but it's a german made blade. The Lenox blades that I was getting were cracking. Evidently the blades I'm getting now have an annealed backing and resist cracks.

I have the 7 x12 gear head Turn-Pro which is very similar to the king, works very well no issues with cutting 5-6" round or square aluminum stock at 90 degree cutoff. May no be the quickest, but very decent cuts. Probably want to run coolant to wash away the chips, a good blade helps quite a bit. I modified mine in a few ways which was previously posted. A pivoting bandsaw is more convenient if you need to do miter cuts often, but otherwise for 90 degree cutoff the standard model works just fine. I prefer the geared version, more compact and easier to change speeds. One caution on the 7 x 12 size bandsaws if you flip the bandsaw up to quickly (90 degrees) from the base they can tip backwards toward the motor. I have used mine a few times as a vertical bandsaw to cut metal plate stock.

A few older posts that may be of interest.

re: bandsaw or any machinery purchased new. Most retailers have commissioned sales staff. Make purchase contingent their equipment performs per requirements and expectations, within a limited period of time or it will be returned.
They'll hesitate or protest, it's an act forcing guilt on you.
As you are producing saleable output, downtime isn't delivery. Make sure they have your contact info, they'll pursue if sincere.
There are unlimited sources of equipment, including used. We have Kalamazoo's used daily 35-40 years, one has original guides!

Well I bought a King 7x12 - did some test cuts and works really well out of the box, bang on square. Remains to be seen how long it takes to cut through 6" of aluminum round, but it cut through a 1" x 5" aluminum bar in less then 1 minute.

I'm late to the party as usual but I bought the Magnum 7" x 12" about 2 years ago and have cut a LOT of steel with it. The sizes range from 1/4" bar stock up to 2" x 12" plate. I've also cut a lot of round stock up to 3" diameter and I love it. It does a great job and when you set it up right it will cut very square. I got it from KMS Tools and the label states it was made in Taiwan. I really like the quality and performance. It is not as fast as a cut off saw but does a much nicer job. You will get used to the slower speed. For some of the thicker stuff it has taken 20 minutes to cut through but I have no other way of cutting 2" x 12" steel. So far, I bet I have taken 10 to 12 gallons of cutting swarf (or whatever the correct term is) from this saw, to the metal recycler. If your King is the same quality I think you will be very happy for a long time. Enjoy.

Back