Barnes #4 Change gear chart help!

JonC

Registered
Registered
Hello all. I am new to the forum and sort of new to lathe work. I have had a taig and and old Sebastian Change gear lathe that I loved. I know have what looks like a barnes #4 that was modified. The guy I got it from told me the guy HE got it from claims it was converted to electric in 1949 and looking at the motor that may be right. The head stock was changed out to a modern one. Who ever did the work made an arbor for the drive nut for the change gears and switched the drive screw around. It looks like he knew what he was doing. Fine shims through out the machine as well.

My problem is, I have no chart for the barnes gears and it has been frustrating trying to switch them around, cut and count threads! Does anyone have a gear chart for the old barnes lathes? Specifically the number 4? I do not know if the 4 1/2 chart would work but would take that if it is available. Might give me more to work from than I have now.

I have tried to find a copy searching on the web for hours with little luck at all. I really want to get to using this thing. She is pretty in a gangly homely way! Of course, I like old stuff!

Thanks alot and liking the forum so far!

Jon

Back