Basket case Harbor Freight 8x12/14 Lathe

If you need any other pictures let me know. I bought my 8x12 new, its a very nice lathe for the money. I keep looking for a bigger one, but nothing yet has popped up. They are either too old and worn out or too expensive or in some cases both!
The compound gib screws are slotted and unhardened they will strip within a few adjustments (the person above in japan also had this problem). I couldn't find exact replacements, but Mcmaster-carr has 91210A120 with locating points to go into the go into the gib holes and they don't strip. They also have 92581A410 a handy metric thumb knob for the gear cover. For some reason after replacing the compound screws the compound adjustment got a lot better. I had it apart a few times before that, it was always too tight or too loose. The compound gib on mine is not the best I will remake one as time allows. Lathemaster has been a better source of parts for me that harbor freight. The owner doesn't care if your machine is red or light green - he will still sell you parts. I recently bought a 100/25 gear set from him to slow the power feed rate from .0050 to .0035.

If you need any other pictures let me know. I bought my 8x12 new, its a very nice lathe for the money. I keep looking for a bigger one, but nothing yet has popped up. They are either too old and worn out or too expensive or in some cases both!
The compound gib screws are slotted and unhardened they will strip within a few adjustments (the person above in japan also had this problem). I couldn't find exact replacements, but Mcmaster-carr has 91210A120 with locating points to go into the go into the gib holes and they don't strip. They also have 92581A410 a handy metric thumb knob for the gear cover. For some reason after replacing the compound screws the compound adjustment got a lot better. I had it apart a few times before that, it was always too tight or too loose. The compound gib on mine is not the best I will remake one as time allows. Lathemaster has been a better source of parts for me that harbor freight. The owner doesn't care if your machine is red or light green - he will still sell you parts. I recently bought a 100/25 gear set from him to slow the power feed rate from .0050 to .0035.

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that Lathemaster will also supply parts. Harbor Freight has a super price, but you have to wait & wait & wait. I'm anxious to use this lathe, but without the leadscrew and support that I've ordered, you are really limited. With the last picture, I have in mind to add a reverse gear (home made). I don't know if these lathes came with one. In the mean time, I bought an OLD 9" south bend that has me really excited, it has all the bells and whistles, including a taper attachment. If you get a chance, can you send pictures of the new gear installed. Thanks again, Jim.

The reverse gear for the lathe is an idler that fits just under the spindle and reverses the rest of the gear assembly. It takes a few minutes, but no big deal. I haven't installed the 100/ 25 set yet as I havent needed a slower feed rate since they arrived. They go in place if the outer 90/35 set.

Back