BC Ames turret tailstock

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently picked this turret tailstock for the restored Ames lathe at Tuckahoe. It started out looking pretty rough but came apart pretty easily. After some cleanup we found BC Ames markings. I have not been able to find anything showing this style turret. The odd thing is that it moves in both X and Y. I saw one similar in an older post but it did not have the Y axis. Has anyone seen one like this before?

Attachments

• 1115231634.jpg
    1115231634.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 1115231634_HDR.jpg
    1115231634_HDR.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1125231530.jpg
    1125231530.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 14
Please post more pictures of it cleaned up!

Here is some commentary from our volunteer, Paolo, who learned scraping when Richard King did a class at our myseum:

"Regarding the base casting of the turret, the most effective way to remove the rust was by power-scraping and I did a few passes of blind scraping of the top and the two ends. All three are non-bearing surfaces and the top might need to be lowered anyhow to re-establish clearance after scraping the bevel bearing surfaces.

I then continued scraping the two sides that mate with the top of the turret: one side is close to completion, whereas the other has enough bearing points to be able to be assessed for "parallelism" (of the horizontal lines on the two planes) and therefore correct the bearing, if necessary (if not corrected, the turret would move up or down when advanced and the pinion of the capstan could bind in the rack at one end
of the travel). The final alignment to the spindle axis will be done by scraping the bottom of the base to the bed of the lathe, after the top is fitted to the base.

As to be expected, both bearing surfaces were high in the middle (both from normal wear and because the ends were exposed to the elements and rusted out). It might be worth cutting oiling grooves and matching
oiling holes in the matching ways of the turret, given that it did not have any oiling provision for the ways."

Here is a pic of his work in progress..

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_173412030_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231125_173412030_HDR.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 3
I have also run into oddball threads while cleaning up hardware. So far I have had 1/4-27 and 4-36.

Back