Beginner looking at first tools

Thanks for the tips.
I used the tool (the one on top with the sharp edge) to face my 6mm aluminum rods and they seems to be ok.
However, when I decided to turn the diameter down in the middle... I messed up.
I used roughly 650rpm... but I don't know if I was cutting too thinly or what... it didn't show as smooth as what I see on videos.. or maybe my tool wasn't at the right angle? Oh I used the dead center that came with the lathe. I added oil just to lessen the friction and made sure it wasn't too tightly clamped but no play neither.
IMG_1167[1].JPGIMG_1166[1].JPG

Facing was ok:
IMG_1165[1].JPG

IMG_1167[1].JPG IMG_1166[1].JPG IMG_1165[1].JPG

That rod is too whippy and is deflecting away from your tool. You need to use a follow rest for this situation to provide some backing for the work piece. Moreover, the tool has little to no nose radius so it is going to dig in.

I would suggest stoning a small radius on the tool and cutting that rod down to 2-3" long and practice with that. I think it will work much better for you. Don't forget that you are cutting essentially with mild steel so the cutting edge will not last long.

Hmmm ... when do those HSS tools get here?

Thanks.. bummer - looks like it won't happen then?!
I just thought I could turn that 150mm length rod down from 6mm diameter to 3mm in the center..

Thanks..
I still haven't ordered those hss tools I linked above. New baby girl is due to arrive this week so not sure I could spare the cash at the moment.. need to wait till the baby arrives and I can see cashflow. Payday is not till this Friday.

You can turn just the center down you just need a follow rest as mentioned. Might slow your feed down as well as the radius tip.

Can I use the belt sander of my grinder to grind my own tool or do I have to use a grinding wheel? I think my belt is 150grit

A belt sander is not ideal, but useable in a pinch. Although I think your 150 grit may be a bit coarse If you have a carborundum whetstone you can spend a bit of time cleaning up after the sander.

Cheers Phil

Not being purposely contrary but for a beginner, I think a belt sander is actually easier to learn on. Just an opinion. In any case, 150 grit will be okay for that soft steel bit but when you switch to HSS you will do better with 24 grit for shaping and 60-80 grit for refining before honing. If you just need to sharpen your current tools just angle to table to match the existing angles and bring whatever face you're grinding parallel with the platen. It won't take much to touch it up. Put a small radius on the nose if you need a better finish.

Back