Beginner tool set, live center etc.

You obviously need more data to work with so I am going to mention the Workshop Practice Series books for a little later. In them you will find instructions, pictures and details on making tool bit grinding fixtures and many other tools that make life easier in the shop as well as methods training.

Plastic pipe scraps (schedule 40 or better) used to be recommended for first time setups and cutting to get familiar with your lathe.

I am a HSS user but also have some carbide cutting tools that were aquired when Enco Tools had them as sale items. The carbide usually gets used on my Enco 14 X 48 lathe. I used a hardened MT2 center for some time before I got a live center, used lots of oil. Grinding tool bits is an art but one that is learned quickly and occasionally for special shapes. They don't have to be perfect to work well. Again referring to earlier posts there is a lot of information available.

Take your time in learning your lathe operation and buying tools. As was said in one of the posts Your lathe probably came from the high speed steel era and as has also been said most likely 3/8". The key here is rigidity.

Enjoy your lathe and welcome to the site.
Ray

You guys are the best ....taking all this in an realizing I have a curve to climb here. Next item on my agenda is to read through that whole thread on grinding and try to get on the list for the samples to compare to.

Back