Being Canadian today

Does that mess with your internet settings?

Last year I was on a fire that was being serviced with satellite internet. Although we were in California it was showing our location as Vancouver, Canada (assume the satellite company office must be near there). I noticed this when I was trying to find out how far it was to the closest town and Google maps was saying 12 hours, when I knew it was only 20-30 minutes. Then I saw where it thought my location was.
Google kept pulling up Cabella's Canada too, wouldn't give me access to the US site.

Does that mess with your internet settings?

Last year I was on a fire that was being serviced with satellite internet. Although we were in California it was showing our location as Vancouver, Canada (assume the satellite company office must be near there). I noticed this when I was trying to find out how far it was to the closest town and Google maps was saying 12 hours, when I knew it was only 20-30 minutes. Then I saw where it thought my location was.
Google kept pulling up Cabella's Canada too, wouldn't give me access to the US site.

No the VPN is passive and runs in the background. It changes virtual location, the location other internet sites thinks you are, every day or if asked to change. The VPN helps prevent internet sites tracking your location.

It is interesting that with a google search you get different results depending on where it thinks you are searching from because it tries to customize for what people in that location would want to see.

For the issue above the owner of the computer just needed to turn off the vpn to get real location

That's nothing, we had entire convention centers that switched location after our gear was overseas. Imagine trying to explain why Google thought you were in France while really being in California....

Back