Belt sander info needed

The main grinder with rigid table is done for the most part. Except for substituting a few metal sizes that I had on hand for ones that I didn't, it is built to plans. Still want to build a few accessories for it and paint it. When it is all done, I'll give a review of the plans and the build, with pictures of course.

For now, I have a question. I came across a 3-phase motor which is what I was hoping for in the 1st place. There is not a data plate on it and no markings whatsoever. It is totally enclosed but not fan cooled. The frame is cast, and the shaft does not protrude through the back. The shaft size is 7/8". It has a front-end mount (no base plate). There was a wire hookup diagram in the cover, and it had previously been wired for low voltage. I checked the wire numbers and hooked it to the Bridgeport VFD to test it and it works well.

This morning I wired a new VFD and programmed it before trying the grinder. It seems to work fine. The VFD had been set to 3 amps (default). Then I set the VFD display to read out amps and with normal grinding was drawing about .7 amps. When I pushed a large piece of steel against the belt, the amps increased to about 4.5 before stopping with an error. I know I can make an adjustment to the current value, but it would be nice to know the motor specs at least close.

My question--Is there a way to find out something more about this motor? my best guess is that is 2 HP.

DSCF5092.JPGDSCF5093.JPG
DSCF5094.JPG

Thanks
Aaron

All done and painted it today with Nelson Paint equipment enamel thinned with mineral spirits to spray. Came out good.

This was a fun build, and the basic grinder took about 7 short days to complete. Add to that a tilting table and radius jig. The only things I had to purchase were a few bolts, a VFD and the 2-pole power switch for it. The motor that I asked about previously works great. I'm sure it's a 2 HP after finding several online that look exactly alike and all 2 HP. It may have come off some kind of hydraulic power unit.

The plans are excellent, nothing left out and easy to follow. Together with the videos, a very good instruction.

I didn't want it to sit on a table, so added it to the power tool pedestal (bench grinder, converted porta-band, and chamfer machine).
DSCF5097.JPG

Possibly because of the motor I used, I added a counterweight system to make tilting easy.

DSCF5101.JPG

DSCF5098.JPG

DSCF5096.JPG

Cleaned up some cords and added a nice control board for power.

DSCF5100.JPG

All done and painted it today with Nelson Paint equipment enamel thinned with mineral spirits to spray. Came out good.

This was a fun build, and the basic grinder took about 7 short days to complete. Add to that a tilting table and radius jig. The only things I had to purchase were a few bolts, a VFD and the 2-pole power switch for it. The motor that I asked about previously works great. I'm sure it's a 2 HP after finding several online that look exactly alike and all 2 HP. It may have come off some kind of hydraulic power unit.

The plans are excellent, nothing left out and easy to follow. Together with the videos, a very good instruction.

I didn't want it to sit on a table, so added it to the power tool pedestal (bench grinder, converted porta-band, and chamfer machine).
View attachment 447551

Possibly because of the motor I used, I added a counterweight system to make tilting easy.

View attachment 447552

View attachment 447553

View attachment 447554

Cleaned up some cords and added a nice control board for power.

View attachment 447555
Very nice!
It is on my long "to-do" list.

Back