Bench Grinder Wheels ???

Sandia

Active User
Registered
I want to replace the wheels on my 8" grinder. One is 36 grit the other is 60 grit. I was going to order some from Enco but they don't carry Norton brand. One brand they carry is Tru-Maxx. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these.

Do you'll know of a better place so shop for wheels ?

McMaster now shows Norton brand grinding wheels on their web site.

If we consider the shipping on the Ebay wheel shown ($9) as the equivalent of McMaster, the Norton wheels from McMaster are only $3-$4 more with a lot more choices on the sizes and grits.

Just saying.

I do have a 6X48 belt sander with 12" disc which a use a lot. Also have a 6" old Craftsman with deburr wheel and wire wheel, also a 8" Jet with aluminum oxide wheels. My tool grinder has diamond wheels fine and medium which I use on carbide, sometimes hss. The Jet grinder is very quite and no vibration but I think the Chinese wheels are probably not as good as I would like, hence the question about where and what to buy.

Whatever you choose to use hold the wheel up with a screwdriver blade through the mounting hole and tap it with another screwdriver handle. listen for a faint ringing sound. if it rings then it is safe to use whether it is brand new or used. Also use new wheel papers every time you change wheels so they protect the side of the wheel and the mounting washers.

Back