Bending some 4130 for custom made bike rack

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Yesterday was a pretty good shop day as I experimented with cold bending of some 7/16 x .035 4130 chrome-moly tubing for a custom made
luggage rack for the old TS185 Suzuki. It all went together quite well and somewhat of a challenge to get the bends looking symmetrical. The
welding was done with a gas torch. Fitment of the pipes was accomplished using the mill and a 7/16 4 flute cutter. I may add a removable wood
or aluminum plate for hauling bulky items if the need arises. The original chrome racks are very expensive and hard to find prompting me to
make my own design.

. P1020368.JPG
It's quite sturdy considering the weight of the rack and would easily handle 40 pounds of fuel-luggage- sleeping bag-whatever...:)
Another possibility would be a light weight attachable-removable aluminum box.

This project needed a bit more work so added a plate that tips open. This allows something to be stowed beneath
the plate and a large amount of bulky stuff that can be mounted above the plate most likely with bungee cords.

It's been too cold to work in the shop lately but today with 10F above zero it was actually quite pleasant. I was able to
heat up the shop to 60F and get a few things done.

Back