Best Bench Vice Restoration Candidates?

If you’re looking for a pre-80’s bench vise, then I don’t think you can go wrong with any name brand. Some buyers guides recommend the sort of vise with an enclosed draw bar lead screw. This type of vise has yielded good service, and they are very solid.
The most important considerations of a vise for restoration are that the leadscrew and nut are in good condition, and that the castings are in good condition. Many are capable of repairing those items. But the effort, and/or expense of it might not be worth your time. With presumably millions of old heavy duty vises still floating around the world, a person can likely find a much easier restoration, with a little patience.

I have a stripped out Starrett here if anyone needs a project . I don't ! :grin:
Dang, I was just down your way a couple weekends ago to pick up my latest lathe.

Linthicum heights.

Maybe one to add to your search: FPU. Made in Poland. A bit unique because the back jaw is the moving jaw and its on dovetails. No idea if they are well made; I've yet to find the right one. I have seen a few where the moving body by the dovetail is cracked or a chunk missing, so pay special attention there.

FPU_Vise.jpg

Maybe one to add to your search: FPU. Made in Poland. A bit unique because the back jaw is the moving jaw and its on dovetails. No idea if they are well made; I've yet to find the right one. I have seen a few where the moving body by the dovetail is cracked or a chunk missing, so pay special attention there.

View attachment 470338

Found one local. $450 is the conundrum.

Found one local. $450 is the conundrum.

Yeah, I'm not sure its worth $450, but i'm no viseologist. I would be a buyer maybe at $300, but then there's the problem of being on the opposite coast. :(

Bumping my own thread...

After trying to find a decent used vice on Craigslist, eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Offerup, etc, I've bailed and ordered a Doyle 6.5" from Harbor Freight! Oh, the horror! Honestly, though, I think HF nailed it with these vices. For $211 delivered w/tax, I get a 70 lbs ductile iron vice, that reviews suggest is quite nice. The used market in my area is just stupid, in regards to what you can get for a similar price.

I'm not one to cheap out on tools, but I don't think this vice qualifies. I'll post a review once I've gotten some time to abuse it. Stand by...

Back