Best small vice for a bench drill.

Hi out there. I am not sure how many Brits are on this site, but I am looking for a vice that is available to buy in the U.K. I have just purchased a fobco bench drill, a great little British made drill from when this country made things worth making. The only fault with this drill is the very small amount of space available between the drill bit end and the bed of the drill itself. I need to know what is a good make of low profile vice that I can use. I have seen some very poor quality items made in the far east and most of the old brit stuff is way too big. Thanks for your help.
I understand the desire for nice tools, quality brings a pride of ownership that does warm the heart.
However, I would question the need for a very high quality vise for a drill press. I’ve had one like this that I bought from Harbor Freight for quite some time and it’s never failed to hold my workpieces sufficiently.

Now, if something like that simply won’t do then perhaps building one yourself is a suitable path. This type has intrigued me almost enough to build one myself.

I’m sure you’ll find what you need if you just define it more.

Cheers,

John

Have a look at the nippy vices. They come up on eBay every now and then. Just don’t overpay for one that looks as if it’s Swiss cheese.

Last edited:
Back