Bi-metal Bandsaw Vs. Carbon Steel Blades

I use 10/14 bi-metal blades on my Roll-In and cut everything from 1/8" - 4", Al - SS, not optimal for everything I know, but works fine.
Usually buy from McMaster/Carr (Starrett). If you didn't know Franko, S.O.T. in Dallas makes them up to size ( theirs are Lennox). About same price as McM-C but no shipping.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the factory steel blade on my band saw and cut a bunch of heavy steel tubing with it without any issue. But when I recently tried to cut some 3x3 stainless tubing the blade barely scratched it, maybe about 1/32 deep then it gave up, no more chips. I put an Irwin bi-metal blade on that I had ordered when I purchased the saw and it sliced through the stainless without any difficulty.

After a little more than a year, I wore out the last of the carbon steel blades I had. I replaced them with bi-metal blades, a couple of 6-10 and a 10-14 blade that had made locally. So far, on the fairly large pieces I've been cutting, they seem to be good.

I have used olson, starrett, morse, and now retired and using chima ones so far so good cut great, all by the way BiMetal. the real test will be with time. the other usa one were used almost daily on our baja builds but not doing much of that work now. These Chima ones are about $15 shipped

Franko, I put new bimetal blades on my horizontal and vertical about 4 years ago, both Lennox and still going strong. Original blade on horizontal saw lasted about 3 months.

Franko, I put new bimetal blades on my horizontal and vertical about 4 years ago, both Lennox and still going strong. Original blade on horizontal saw lasted about 3 months.

Forgot to mention, I purchased them from bandsawbladesdirect.com

The blades I had made locally were Lennox. 93" x 3/4" cost me about $35 each.

I found the bi-metal will last longer if it does brake
If some else running the band saw then carbon steel works better (does brake as fast blade) will wear faster.

Dave

I currently own a small HF bandsaw that was purchased at a yard sale for 20.00. The blade on in looked like a butter knife. Purchased a new blade at HF. They had two quality blades. The one that I purchased stated that it would cut SS. Installed the blade, tweaked the bandsaw. And has been working fine for over 2 years. I use a lube stick on the blade. and wd 40 on alum. Al.

Back