Bi-metal blade on a wood bandsaw

martik777

Active User
Registered
How do these work (4tpi) My carbon steel blades don't last too long and are instantly dulled if I hit a nail or staple.

I really liked the bi metal blades I use on my band saw. Can even cut aluminum with no problems.

How do these work (4tpi) My carbon steel blades don't last too long and are instantly dulled if I hit a nail or staple.
Speed of the blade is your culprit. get it down to 80 inches per minute and you can cut three or four nails.

Yup, speed is the issue. If you're cutting nails at the speed of wood nothing is going to hold up that well. But bi-metal beats carbon steel regardless.

I like bi-metal blades for cutting wood BUT it is much less painful to ruin a carbon steel blade cutting a nail than it is to ruin a bi-metal blade (~ 3x cost) with the same nail. Actually a bi-metal blade will cut a few nails but it will be noticeably dulled with the first one and a dull blade is much more dangerous than a sharp blade.

feet / inches, its been too long...I retired in 2000, mia culpa.
Having retired that long ago, I think you are doing pretty well, I doubt that I will be doing so well at that milestone, if I achieve it at all.

Back