Big cuts on EN8

Shanyboi

Registered
Registered
Hi all.
Me again...
I would like to know, what should I do about taking big cuts on EN8 steel? Is my feed and spindle speed to fast?
I try to take 2mm cuts (small, I know) but I want to take bigger cuts but it is making a loud whistle noise.
Vibration I assume.
I take it on 1000RPM and C6 feed. Will have to find out exactly what the feed is.
Could u guys help me?
Is my feed and speed to fast?

On my G0730 mill, in mild steel (the only steel I have cut) I would use 270 RPMs for a 25-thou DoC with a 1/2" carbide end-mill.
I would use 400 RPM and 50-thou DoC in 6061 with the same arrangement.

On my G4003G lathe, I would take 25-thou DoC turning or facing with CNMG 432 inserts in mild steel with {0.030 in/turn roughing, 0.008 finishing} at 270 or 320 RPM at 1" diameter.

2mm is 80-thou a bit aggressive but not excessively. I stick to 60-thou in aluminum and 25-thou in steel
1,000 RPM is fast or not depending on missing information {like end mill diameter--assumingyou are milling}
The other piece of missing information are:
a) name of machine
b) kind of tooling {HSS, Cobalt, Carbide, Diamond,...}×{Diameter, flutes,...}
c) use of lubrication
d) use of coolant

What kind of tool bit? Lathe or Milling machine? Cutting fluid or not?
-Mark

I am super sorry for leaving out that or is on a lathe. I am busy with apprenticeship so I need to be quick in doing my job. That is why I need to take big cuts for roughing to get the workpiece down to size.
I will get all the info today. I only work on the lathe and milling during the week.
Thanks guys.
OH and we use metric here in South Africa.
Hahaha.

Hi guys.
Feedback.
I came right yesterday.
My speed and feed was too fast the first time round.
I took 5mm cuts but now need to tighten the chuck more.

Back