Boley Size 2 Lathe - 20 Mm 11 Tpi?!

boley_man

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I recently acquired an old boley size 2 lathe from perhaps the 1950s. This is a pretty rare model as far as I can tell, with only very limited information available online. The lathe is in pretty good shape, but the chuck is not true (though the spindle and mounting is). It's a 65 mm chuck, and the manufacturer no longer makes these. I decided to go for an 80mm chuck and to machine my own holder for the chuck. Everything was going pretty well, until I tried to thread the chuck mounting part. The threads I measured out at m20 x 2.3 mm (very close to 11 TPI). Needless to say, this is about as non-standard a thread as I can find. The angle of the thread is such that when I measure the inside of the old chuck I get a measurement of 16.5 mm. The outside of the existing threads is 19.96, so I'm pretty sure this is some variant of M20. M20x2.5 and M20 x 2.0 are standard, but neither is close enough to fit (even though I only need about 4 threads. Anyhow, I'm stuck and out of ideas. Boley often mixed metric and standard and seems to have had a lot of custom threads. One example: The collets on this (which I do not own) have a thread of something like 8.2 x 0.8mm... Any ideas or advice would be very much appreciated. I can post pictures if it would help.

Last edited:
Hi, is it possible it's a S20 collet thread 20mm x 2mm, or a U20 19.7 x 2.0 (but a 45/5 buttress thread, not a 60-degree thread)? These were used in Deckel etc. and some other German lathes and mills, tool grinders etc.

Dave H. (the other one)

Here come the pictures...
Again, the important measurements:
Across the threads: 19.96mm (exactly).
Thread pitch: 2.3 mm (as closely as I can tell - hard to measure accurately)
Inside diameter of the mating parts (i.e min diameter of the threads): 16.5 mm (roughly)
IMG_20160428_072634.jpg

Hi, is it possible it's a S20 collet thread 20mm x 2mm, or a U20 19.7 x 2.0 (but a 45/5 buttress thread, not a 60-degree thread)? These were used in Deckel etc. and some other German lathes and mills, tool grinders etc.

Dave H. (the other one)
Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure that the pitch is around 2.3 mm (11 threads per inch). See the above picture.

make a stub out of alu with 2.3 mm pitch
if it doesn't fit make another one 2.5 mm

I acquired some thread gauges. It matches with a whitworth 55 degrees 11G 5/8. Now the next question, what the heck is an 11G 5/8?.. I'm guessing that the gauge is simply numbered on the different teeth, so the 11G may not mean much. It's the standard 5/8 inch whitworth, which is 11 threads per inch... But of course the 11 threads per inch 5/8 tap is smaller than the 20 mm I'm looking for. I assume that this means that I need a custom tap. I did find a very nice chart of all of the British threads here: http://www.historicmotorcycle.org.au/images/Thread_Tables.pdf However, mine is not among them. Sigh.

single point the threads,20mm 11 tpi, using the old chuck
the runout is not important as long as you do all the turning of the adapter in one setup

Back