Book Review - Wheel and Pinion Cutting in Horology

T

Tom Griffin

Forum Guest
Register Today
So it took a month, but I just got my copy of "Wheel and Pinion Cutting in Horology by Malcolm Wild, and what an amazing book it is. The first few chapters are on the history of wheel and pinion cutting, the middle few chapters are a well illustrated, well documented dissertation on cutting your own gears as well as making your own cutters, and the last few chapters cover clock repair. Then there are a number of appendices loaded with reference data. I haven' had time to dig in thoroughly but it looks to be great fun. It was $38 plus $4 shipping from The Book Depository in the U.K.

Tom

Tom,
Thanks for the great book. I am adding it to my list of must haves. I have been trying to get the workshop series and some other beginner books to get a good strong base of knowledge before I branch out too much.
Bob

Bob,

For me the whole "branching out" thing is what's hardest to control with this hobby obsession . I have yet do make a single clock related part but have been stocking up for years on books, tools and knowledge. With all of the other branches on my hobby tree there hasn't been time as yet to develop a new one. Not sure if my interest will wane in the gunsmithing, model I.C. engines, steam engines, model airplanes, car restoration, or any of the others in my myriad of interests, but if it does I'll always have something new to explore. :)

Tom

A job for Santa

Thaks for the review its one for Santas list, I will start droping hints around June Just to be shure .

Best regards Brian.

Back