Boring and facing head "Tool Gloat"

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
Got this boring and facing head this week. It's marked as Erickson and made by Mizoguchi in Japan. Has a R8 shank and works great. It's missing 2 of the bushings and 1 stop but I can make them easy enough. Seems to be a copy of the Wohlhapter UPA 3 except instead of hard to find 18mm tooling it takes 3/4". Graduated to .0001" on a diameter. Made a best offer on Ebay at about half the asking price and they accepted.

DSCF1793.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg

Excellent, Don. I could use one of those from time to time, but never seem to find a bargain. Not yet anyway. You did good!

Looks like it's of fine quality as well. I've got a UPA 3 with R8 shank that I have come to love dearly, btw, it uses 3/4" tooling as well. In case you need a "handbook" for it, I've got a ratty looking .pdf copy of the one for the Wohlhaupter (plan to scan it and clean it up, haven't yet but it's still usable). Here's the link to it - http://www.arcaneiron.com/machines/Wohlhauptermanual.pdf It's about 17M to download but I've hosted it on my server and can guarantee it's "clean".

Enjoy!

-Ron

Yes, yes, you really really suck :p

That is a nice gizmo, and it looks in great shape.

Ron,
Thanks, I have that same downloaded manual. The Wohlhapter heads I used to use when working were all metric. I just figured they were all that way.

Ron,
Thanks, I have that same downloaded manual. The Wohlhapter heads I used to use when working were all metric. I just figured they were all that way.

Yep, just an FYI kind of thing. I will post a cleaned up version of the manual once I get the time to do so - it's on my list... :biggrin:

You're going to love that boring head.

-Ron

Back