Boring bar holder for QCTP

Galileu

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I just received a warning from lack of posting, so here goes a report of a project for next weekend, if there are no holdups.

I bought a set of boring bars with 12mm shank, for which I have no holder. I will try to make a holder to go into my QCTP, Norman patent stile, from a block of aluminium 50x50x25mm I have, waiting for such an application. For the moment I can only show images of the 3D model.

The large vertical hole is a slide fit to my tool post and the horizontal hole is a sliding fit to the boring bar shank. Both holes are slotted and then tightened with M6 screws; there is also a tapped M4 hole for the height setting screw.

I will post a picture when it's done.

Best regards,
José

Captura de ecrã - 2011-12-14, 13.43.32.jpg Captura de ecrã - 2011-12-14, 13.44.03.jpg

I have seen that type of holder before. Could you please post a picture of the QCTP itself to refresh my memory. The whole set-up was built by you am I correct?

"Billy G" :thumbzup::thumbzup::thumbzup:

The picture will have to wait for next week, since I live in one place and spend my weekends in another place, where I have the workshop. The whole setup was built by me following George Carlson's plans (http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/projects/toolpost/toolpost.html) with adaptations.

Best regards,
José

Hi all,

As promised here are the pictures of the boring bar holder and the tool post itself. Compared to the project, the holder received only two tightening screws for the boring bar shank, instead of three. The tool post is just a 25 mm O.D. cylinder bored to slide into the existing M8 stud.

Best regards,
José

IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0065.JPG

Looks quite stout so vibration should not be a problem. Where did you get 12 MM tooling? I have seen a bunch of 1/2 and 13 MM but don't recall ever seeing it in 12MM. Maybe I just missed it when reading the product specs too. I seem to be stuck on LMS anyway, Chris has a pretty nice collection of stuff and can assist you if you have questions about anything he sells. Since I am still quite the noob at machining I need all the help I can get. Great looking TP and Bar holder. Have a great weekend and jope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Bob

Looks quite stout so vibration should not be a problem. Where did you get 12 MM tooling? I have seen a bunch of 1/2 and 13 MM but don't recall ever seeing it in 12MM. Maybe I just missed it when reading the product specs too. I seem to be stuck on LMS anyway, Chris has a pretty nice collection of stuff and can assist you if you have questions about anything he sells. Since I am still quite the noob at machining I need all the help I can get. Great looking TP and Bar holder. Have a great weekend and jope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Bob

I got the boring bar set off ebay. Living across the pond makes buying in the USA rather expensive, due to shipping costs and custom duties, so I try to buy within the EU; not only are shipping costs lower as there are no custom duties to be concerned about.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you too.
José

Back