Boring Chuck Jaws

Deerslayer

Registered
Registered
Is it possible to bore for clean up and realignment, hard jaws on a 3 jaw chuck? What I've googled says hard jaws must be ground? Are they hard enough a carbide boring bar won't clean up .010 or .015"?

Sorry, but I can’t see boring the jaws possible. The hard jaws and interrupted cut would be murder on your set-up. Grinding is the only way. But is the chuck worth saving? Using a GOOD chuck is like the difference between night and day. Grinding the jaws on a dead horse chuck could be a frustrating experience trying to use the thing after reworked. The chuck is the heart of the lathe. There is nothing more satisfying than chucking up a part and having it run true every time you mount it in the chuck. Maybe buy a new chuck and one that has the set-true feature…Good Luck, Dave.

It might be ''possible'' to bore hard chuck jaws, but I think the result might be less than desired. It would be pretty hard on the tool bit. Grinding is the standard method of renewing hard jaws. I have done it with a Dremel, not the best and very slow but it works. I have also used an air die grinder in a tool holder fixture I built. Those actually work pretty good.

It might be ''possible'' to bore hard chuck jaws, but I think the result might be less than desired. It would be pretty hard on the tool bit. Grinding is the standard method of renewing hard jaws. I have done it with a Dremel, not the best and very slow but it works. I have also used an air die grinder in a tool holder fixture I built. Those actually work pretty good.

I do have a die grinder and I can fab that up, excellent idea!

I think the shock of interrupted cuts when boring would probably break a carbide tool.

It is real easy to make a mount to hold a Dremel moto tool that will clamp to a toolpost. Several guys on eBay sell them for cheap.

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 9.00.47 PM.png

I have bored hard jaws with a carbide insert. Worked well. Very light cuts, like .005 each, and decent rpm. But like said, if the chuck is really worn out, they will repeat best only when close to the diameter they were ground to.

Look it up om youtube, there is plenty of videos on chuck jaw grinding. I like the one in the link below. Video is little long but for me this method was easiest.

Back